Friday 12 October 2012

You Do WHAT While You're Pregnant?!!

I tend to get a lot of flack from people about the activities I enjoy while pregnant.  Things like hockey, skating, lifting weights, rolling full 45G drums around at work, pushing helicopters in and out of the hangar, riding a motorcycle, going to Panama at 30+ weeks, etc.

But, in my defence, I DID run many of these things by my doctor... well, sort of.  He basically told me after about the 10th thing I asked him (during my first pregnancy) that I should just listen to my body.  As long as all of these things were a regular part of my life before becoming pregnant, I should be able to continue them as long as my body feels up to it.  With a few obvious exceptions, of course.  I'm not about to go out drinking or something that could obviously cause harm to my baby.




It makes me wonder why people feel it is their right to tell people what they should and shouldn't do as soon as a baby makes their way into the equation, though.  I rode my motorcycle plenty before I was pregnant without anyone so much as batting an eye, so why is it suddenly so dangerous because there's a baby involved?  Is my unborn child's life so much more important than mine?

And it doesn't stop when you give birth, either.  You are judged as a mother every time you turn around.  It is hard to see the positives sometimes, but just remember that everyone is looking out for the welfare of the child.  The maternal urge to protect an innocent is just too strong to stop from speaking up, sometimes.  Or at least that's what I choose to believe.

And the next time you'd like to offer some advice to a mom or mom-to-be... try not to phrase it as a judgement.


No comments:

Post a Comment